Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Beginning

Today I started running again for the first time in months.  I was sitting in my apartment getting frustrated with my inability to cook and my lack of things to do, and it was really strange how the solution to my frustration came to me: I need to go running, I thought.  I honestly couldn't try to explain that, it just made sense to me.

And that is what I have come to realize.  Running is an escape for me; but also, and more importantly, it is a recharging escape.  It allows me to disappear for a few brief moments and focus on what I really want so that when I come home I am ready to go.

To me, writing has always been important.  I started crafting (horrible) stories as young as 7 or 8, and as I grew up, writing became essential to me.  In many ways it was the same escape that offered the same benefits I just mentioned above.  But as I've matured, I've found it difficult to come up with content.  And so it was while I was running today, for the first time in what felt like an eternity, that I realized that this was my opportunity to bring content to my writing.

My intention here is...well, to tell you the truth I'm not entirely sure what my intention is.  I think it's a little bit of double motivation, on one hand--run so that I write and write so that I run--but on the other hand, I think I'm reaching out.  I already know enough about me as a runner to know that I'm not the type of person that has a partner. Running is about me, however selfish that might sound.  But it is time that I have set aside to listen to my body, to clear my head, and to bring the two together.  So, in some odd way, I am inviting you to be my running partner via this blog--without sacrificing my opportunity to get back in touch with myself.  I hope you find yourself at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment